Sometimes it is hard to find just the design you would like for your lampshade so why not print your own? We love simple bold 60s florals and created a bright vibrant green to print the design.This is a very simple way to create a bespoke piece of designer home ware.
You will already have many of the things you need for this low-tech hand printing project and there are only a couple of specialize products you will need.
You will need:
- Plain drum lampshade £20 Home Base
- Dylon fabric paints in Green and Yellow from £4.85
- Acrylic block
- Tracing paper
- Masking tape
- Glue stick
- Hobby foam sheet
- Car wash sponge
- OHP pen (overhead projector pen)
- Masking tape
Total Price £29.70
Step by Step
1.Measure the lampshade and draw a design to fit, then trace onto tracing paper. Use a permanent OHP pen to mark the center back of the acrylic block. Place the design under the acrylic block and trace onto the reverse side of the block with the OHP pen.
2.To transfer the image onto the foam sheet, place the tracing paper design face down on foam, and then scribble over the back.
3.Cut out your design from the foam sheet using scissors and a craft knife. Stick the cut out pieces in position on the acrylic block using a glue stick.
4.Place a line of masking tape around the top and bottom edges of the lampshade.
- Mix up your fabric-printing colour, we made a lime green by mixing the yellow with the green about half a pot for this design. For the fabric paint applicator cut a piece 3cm cubed from the car wash sponge. Dab one side of the foam in the fabric paint until it is evenly coated. Then dab the fabric paint onto the design block and print on paper to check colour.
- Start printing onto the lampshade, beginning at the seam, reloading the block with paint after each impression.
Tip Transparent acrylic blocks take the headache out of positioning the block especially when printing repeat designs.