It’s hard to believe the humble beginnings of these lovely vases, they are Tetrapak, initially used to contain soup and orange juice. Because they were initially used for liquids they make great vases. We have chosen two different methods of decoration decoupage on a gold background and ombre painted effect.
You will need:
Empty clean Tetrapacs
White spray paint Valspar from £5.60 B&Q
Gold Valspar Spray paint from £5.60
Pink Valspar tester pot £1.49 B&Q
Photo copied images
PVA glue and brush
- In a well ventilated room spray the cartons with white spray paint to obliterate the existing type face. Leave to dry and repeat if necessary.
- Spray the ones you want gold. Leave to dry and again repeat if necessary.
- Cut out butterflies from photocopied copyright images. Arrange and stick over the gold boxes.
- To make an ombre effect box. Stick a line of masking tape a third of the way from the bottom of the box. Paint on the turquoise colour directly.
- Leave to dry. When dry remove the masking tape and tape a new line at the top of where you just painted and another line of tape about another third of the way up the box.
- Mix a desert spoonful of white emulsion into the turquoise and paint this between your two lines of masking tape. Leave to dry.
- Remove the masking tape and then add another line of masking tape covering the top edge of the colour you just painted.
- Mix 2 more spoons of white emulsion into the paint mixture and paint on this lighter colour. Leave to dry and then remove the tape.
Tips: To speed up the process dry with a hairdryer between coats of paint.