A very reasonably priced rug from IKEA has been given a summer 2016 tropical makeover, using just felt, and embroidery floss. The result is vibrant and as it is quite light it can be used as a picnic rug.
You will need
Paper and pencil
Paper Scissors and dressmaker’s scissors
Hampen Rug in Green IKEA £11
3 of each colour Felt A4’s at 59p a square from Minerva Crafts
pink,purple,turquoise, apple green, olive green, meadow green =£10.62
1 meter bright green felt =£7.99
Embroidery floss in pink turquoise and purple from a pack of 20 colours £4.99 Korbond available in Tesco and Sainsburys
- Draw very large leaves into the paper and cut out to use as a pattern.
- Draw smaller A4 size leaves onto paper and cut out.
- Draw large circles and smaller circles onto paper, these are for your flowers.
- Cut out V shapes round the edge to make the petal shapes.
- Pin the paper shapes onto the felt and cut out the flowers and leaves.
- Arrange the flowers and leaves on the rug.
- Sew the leaves and flowers down their centers for the leaves and round the edge of the inner circles for the flowers using large running stitches.